Farmers Market Readies for June Opening May 20, 2020
The Coos Bay Downtown Association is preparing an exciting twentieth season of the Farmers Market opening on Wednesday, June 3, 2020. The market will be held every Wednesday through October 28. The opening was delayed this year due to the Governor’s Executive order, which has also affected how the Coos Bay Downtown Farmers Market will look. to market-goers. These changes are in compliance with Oregon’s Phase 1 Reopening Plan, CDC Guidelines, and the Oregon Farmers Market Association (OFMA).
Farmers Market Manager Melissa Hasart said, “The number one priority during the COVID-19 pandemic is everyone’s safety as we make farm fresh products to our community available in an open-air market.”
The Market will be set as an Essential Grocery-Type Layout, not as a “Social Gathering” site. It will feature traditional homegrown and local essential products only. Vendors are encouraged to sell products in a bundle, prepackaged, or individually. The Farmers Market will also include physical distancing and additional practices for everyone's safety:
- All staff, volunteers, and vendors are required to wear fabric face coverings and gloves. Vendors will have hand sanitizer at their booths
- There will be hand washing stations throughout the Farmers Market provided by Banner Bank
- Safety greeters will be located throughout the market to encourage physical distancing
- Vendor booths will be spaced at least eight feet apart
- Signs will be posted to “Shop with your Eyes”.
- There will be no customer contact with products prior to purchase
- Food vendors will provide “Take-Out” only and prepared food must be consumed off-market premises
- The Farmers Market is open early to senior citizens and vulnerable customers only from 9 a.m.-10 a.m.
Shoppers are encouraged to be safe, shop quickly, and purchase only essential items. Shoppers are also asked to wear fabric face coverings and thoroughly wash hands before coming to the Market. Other things to consider include the following:
- Bring personal hand sanitizer
- Send one healthy member of your household with a shopping list
- Leave pets and younger children at home (Service Animals are allowed)
- Remember to clean and wash all purchased produce at home before eating
WIC and Nutrition Vouchers
With the goal of “farm fresh to every fork,” the CBDA Farmers Market accepts SNAP-EBT. Tokens and $10 Double Up Bucks and can be received at the Farmers Market Information Booth located on Central Avenue next door to Jennie’s Shoes in Mall Block #2. Several vendors also accept WIC and Senior Farm Direct Nutrition vouchers.
At this time, there will be only essential vendors providing food offerings. Other market regulars including artists and craft, distributors, and non-profits or educational booths will not be part of the market at this time. Social activities, children’s programs, entertainment, music, demonstrations, or sampling of any products will not take place this year.
The CBDA Farmers Market is located on Central Avenue between Highway 101 South and 4th Street in downtown Coos Bay. The Market is made possible through generous sponsors including Jennie’s Shoes, Wildflour Catering, the Oregon Health Insurance Marketplace, the Coos Head Food Coop, and Banner Bank.
For more information about the Farmers Market, contact Melissa Hasart at (541) 266-9711 or visit the Farmers Market Facebook page.